Historical and Mythological Use of Crystals and Gemstones
The use of crystals for healing, power, and objects of meditation and magick dates back to very early times, and is present both in historical fact and mythological uses.
In ancient Egypt, the Great Pyramid was capped with a giant quartz crystal. This wasn’t just for decoration, but to invoke the natural attributes of quartz. Throughout history, crystals have topped the scepters or kings and queens, as well as their crowns. The stones used were typically those associated with kingship and power, such as ruby, diamond, and emerald.
In the mythology of Atlantis, the priests and citizens there used crystals to harness the power of the sun. These crystals were called ‘firestones’ and were used for a variety of purposes, including the elimination of illness and disease from the body. This is mythology, of course, but it reinforces the fact that ancient people had a great deal of belief in the healing powers of crystals.
How Crystals Work
Gemstones and crystals give off an astounding amount of energy, energy which can penetrate to many levels of our awareness: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. They transmit and receive energy constantly, and this energy can be utilized by anyone.
The vibration of most crystals and gemstones is fairly stable, and this vibrations can be used to stimulate healing, induce dreams or visions, cleanse the aura, or aid in magickal or psychic development. Each crystal gives off its own distinct vibrations, so each has its own purpose. Regardless of the type of crystal, never use it if the vibrations do not feel right.
How a crystal is used and its placement is highly dependent upon the purpose of the spell or ritual. In the case of healing spells, and rituals, the crystals should be pointed inward toward the body to impart energy, but outward and away from the body to remove pain or other difficulties.
Combining crystals with candle magick is simple enough. When the candle is lit and the spell or ritual is being performed, either place the crystal near the candle, or hold the crystal clasped tightly in one hand. Use the right hand to transmit energy, and the left to receive energy.
The Healing Properties of Crystals
Here is a list of the most common gemstones and their healing properties. Bear in mind that gemstone therapy should only be used to treat minor ailments. For anything major, crystals should be combined with advice from a medical practitioner.
- Agate: blood purifier, epilepsy, fever, menstrual cramps, stomach diseases, teething in babies
- Amber: dysentery, ear aches, indigestion, blood purifier, acne, asthma, bronchitis and other lung problems, eczema, psoriasis, throat irritations, urinary tract infections
- Amethyst: allergies, blood clots, brain tumors, diabetes, dropsy, eating disorders, hallucinations, headaches, glaucoma, insomnia, Parkinson’s disease, stress
- Aquamarine: anxiety, coughs, ear aches, headaches, insomnia, liver problems, toothaches, swollen glands, upset stomach, laryngitis
- Bloodstone: slow the flow of blood from a wound, anemia, fevers, hemorrhoids, inflammation, insect bites, menstrual problems, mental stimulant, blood purifier
- Emerald: depression, epilepsy, fever, pancreatic disorders
- Garnet: anemia, depression, frostbite, impotency, menstrual cramps, neuralgia, paralysis
- Hematite: bladder/kidney problems, bloodshot eyes, high blood pressure, insomnia, wounds
- Jade: anxiety, bladder/kidney disorders, emotional pain, fear, indigestion, stress, urinary problems
- Jasper: blood purifier, bladder infections, menstrual cramps, nausea
- Lapis Lazuli: bleeding, burns, nerve diseases, depression, epilepsy, eye ailments, fever, headaches, heart problems, high blood pressure, infections, inflammation, insomnia, menopause, menstrual cramps, mental disorders, migraines, multiple sclerosis, sore throat, stress, surgical recovery
- Moonstone: cancer, colds, flu, infertility, insomnia, irregular menstruation, menopause, premenstrual syndrome
- Ruby: anemia, blood poisoning, cancer, depression, exhaustion, infertility, sterility, problems with the heart, kidneys, or liver
- Sapphire: Alzheimer’s disease, burns, nerve diseases, fevers, hemorrhoids, infections, inflammation, insomnia, multiple sclerosis, nosebleeds, sore throats, ulcers
- Topaz: depression, bone diseases, insomnia, sexual dysfunction, shock, stress
- Turquoise: asthma, burns, lung diseases, fevers, high blood pressure, inflammation, migraines, tension, trauma
Incorporating the use of crystals and gemstones into candle rituals for healing is simple and effective. As can be seen from the list above, many conditions have more than one stone available, so finding one that’s appropriate should not be too difficult.